The geometric formal language of Angelika Hoegerl’s free-standing sculptures and sculptural wall works is based on an examination of historical architectural drawings of Gothic cathedrals. The ground plan forms of Gothic cluster pillars serve as an inspiration for the wall objects that project up to 20 cm into the room, as well as the pattern-like figurations of vault systems, that due their feature in statics, rendered the advancement of vault architecture to extrem heights possible only then. Therefore the Angelika Hoegerl sees them as architectural ‘essences’.
Hoegerl removes her sculptures from the context of architectural quotations once and for all by covering them with everyday materials. Glittering bitumen felt, shiny lining fabrics and velvet in shades of sky blue as well as car headliners made of artificial leather are being used. “For me, they are heaven materials that refer to the heaven symbolism of Gothic vaults,” Angelika Hoegerl explains the associative choice of fabrics. The meeting between firm architectural forms and soft textile surfaces give rise to visually and haptically exciting objects that on the one hand have their source code in the sacral history of the Middle Ages, and on the other hand span an arc into the profane, industrial materiality of the 21st century.
- 1962 born in Landshut
- 1981 – 1988 Academy of Fine Arts, Munich, with Prof. Gerd Dengler and Prof. Daniel Spoerri
- 1988 – 1989 Postgraduate studies in monument preservation, Technical University, Munich
- 2023 Artwork of the month, Protestant parish Berg at lake Starnberg
- 2022 Essences, Quittenbaum Gallery
- 2021 Cologne Ondulations, Dreinigkeitskirche Bogenhausen, Munich
- 2018 Pieces of Heaven, Project Space Streifeld, Munich
- 2015 Uttinger Studio Days
- 2014 cuts + profiles, Röcklturm, Landshut, with Shirin Damerji
- 2013 quer-schnitt, exhibition of works, gallery for objects and pictures, Munich
- 2012 formations, art pavilion Munich
- 2022 Luftlinie, Neue Münchner Künstlergenossenschaft as guest at Kunstverein Landshut
Notre Dame, DG-Kunstraum, German Society for Christian Art, Munich
Bildräume – Raumbilder, Kunstverein Passau
- 2021 registered, New Munich Artists’ Cooperative as guest in the gallery FOE 156, Munich
Bildräume – Raumbilder, Kulturwerkstatt Haus 10, Fürstenfeldbruck
- 2020 PaperScissorsStone, New Gallery Landshut, with Janosh Fischer and Laura Wagner
Verzeichnet, Neue Münchner Künstlergenossenschaft as guest at Galerie Mixer, Frankfurt
- 2019 KunstGehtBaden, temporary installations in the former outdoor swimming pool Greifenberg
- 2018 Binders – welcome I, GEDOK Munich; 20 positions – Academy for political education, Tutzing
- 2017 A quarter of a century – Künstlergut Prösitz
Exhibition in the Dresden state parliament.